• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 10 months ago by jade_1664.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

  • Author

    Posts

  • #988545

    I did a search but didn't come up with much…maybe I queried wrong.

    I have been told to try a brand of oil paint called Pebeo Huile Fine. Has anyone used this brand? If so was it ok? I currently used a mix of Gamblin, Graham, Winsor Newton and Winton.

    Sure would appreciate any feedback you could offer. Thanks.

    #1137662

    It is a french brand and is very common in Art stores over here in France (http://www.pebeo.com/).

    The company was founded in 1919 and it has three main lines of paints. The XL, the XL super fine and the Fragonard line. The Fragonard line is know for having a large number of single pigment paints (30 out of the 104) and supposedly an equal distribution of opaque, semi opaque and transparent colors. I have only used the Fragonard chrome yellow deep hue and the their cadmium lemon yellow. I liked both colors but found that the cadmium lemon to be rather runny out of the tube. I don't mean that the oil had seperated, it was still bound, but it was runny. The color was still nice and worked for me, though I don't use it anymore. I still use the chrome yellow, though.

    The price, at least here in France, is very good and I often find them offered for 10% below list price at my local Cultura (a Borders book with art supplies).

    Hope this helps.

    Joey

    Favorite Painters (in order): Suzanne Valadon, Vincent Van Gogh, Nicolas Uribe, Chaim Soutine, Amedeo Modigliani, Maurice de Vlaminck, Pablo Picasso, Anselm Kiefer, Claude Monet, Cezanne (still Lifes only), Scott Burdick, Jenny Saville, Dennis Sheehan, Lovis Corinth, Lucian Freud, Gustave Courbet, Max Pechstein, Ernst Kirchner, Andre Derain, Jeff Hein, Kent Williams and George Inness.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vraisfaux/

    #1137657

    Thanks for the info on that. I do not know what is meant by single pigment. Also, are the XL and XL Fine very different from the Fragonard line?

    I know you have stated you only have knowledge chrome and cadmium yellow. Just wondering if you have heard any rumor regarding the Huile line. I have a contact in Washington State that might carry this and I was considering trying a number of the colors.

    Thanks again for taking the time to post your reply. Sure appreciate that.

    #1137665

    I use a mixture of Pebeo and winsor and newton. I'm not really qualified to say much about paint quality, but I do like them, they work well for me and I have some tubes I've been using off and on for about 15 years and they are still good. Some have a little oil seperation but massaging the older tubes before I use them clears this up.

    Some of the tubes are a little tough to open, but again, they are the ones I rarely use, and they are quite old. And some of the older tubes have stiffer paint.

    Some of the paintings I did when I first started are still as vivid 15 years later, so their colour quality seems good to me.

    #1137663

    what is meant by single pigment.

    It simply means that the paint was made using a single pigment rather than a mixture of two pigments to get the same hue. For example you will see raw sienna sold using PR101â€"Red Iron Oxide and PY42â€"Yellow Ochre mixed together OR simple using one pigment PBr7â€"Raw Sienna. Now looking at their raw sienna it is a mix rather than one pigment. SO . . .

    BTW, having a paint that is made with only one pigment helps when you are mixing colors. The color will keep its intensity and not become muddy as soon in mixes.

    I have not used any of the XL paints except for Titanium white so I really can't comment. The white was nice and bright, was creamy, and was perfectly opaque. I would use it but around here LeFranc Titanium is cheaper so I use it instead.

    Favorite Painters (in order): Suzanne Valadon, Vincent Van Gogh, Nicolas Uribe, Chaim Soutine, Amedeo Modigliani, Maurice de Vlaminck, Pablo Picasso, Anselm Kiefer, Claude Monet, Cezanne (still Lifes only), Scott Burdick, Jenny Saville, Dennis Sheehan, Lovis Corinth, Lucian Freud, Gustave Courbet, Max Pechstein, Ernst Kirchner, Andre Derain, Jeff Hein, Kent Williams and George Inness.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vraisfaux/

    #1137658

    Thanks for the further information. I learned something about single pigment. Terrific…thanks!

    #1137661

    I've never used these paints but they are sold by a Montreal art supply house along with other brands two of which I am familiar, Winsor & Newton Artist Grade and Rembrandt. Pebeo is much cheaper, comparable to Winton paints which are student grade. This leads me to believe that the Pebeo sold here is also a student grade.

    For further info google up Omer de Serres for their website, where you can at least compare Pebeo pricing with other paints.

    If you are a serious painter or beginning painter you would probably be better off in general with artist grade paints such as the Gamblin, Graham or W&N you already use, unless there is a special paint feature that low pigment load student paint provides.

    #1137656

    Pebeo is very popular here in French Quebec as well. I'm a big fan.

    Beautiful, buttery texture; vibrant, clear pigments that thin well without wimping out.

    While priced as student-grade, I've never gotten the impression they were inferior in any way. I have no hesitation in recommending them for even your most serious work.

    Best,
    Dave

    #1137659

    Thanks folks. I sure appreciate all the feedback. I am going to plunge ahead and get a few to try them out. I have painted over 41 years. I have used Winton and have had no problems with it. The Art store told me they thought that the Pebeo might be better and wanted my opinion. Thanks to the feedback here…I will give them a try.

    #1137664

    yeah i've used a few __the XL line are cheap colours but ok for mixing with other brands. if you note the ASTM ratings on the colour card, you will see that quite a lot are rating II , a few are III and some are I . they are ok for students and for putting down base colour cheaply for underpaintings of murals or larger oil pictures. you can check the pigments used in " the painters handbook " by Gottsegen. there are no true cadmiums in the range for the price you buy them here in Australia @ approx. $5 per small tube . recommended for sketching but for commission works, the least i would go with would be the " 1862 " line from lukas or schmincke " norma " line. cheers

    #1137660

    thanks Matt…very informative.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

  • The topic 'Has anyone used Pebeo Huile Oil Paints? Can I get your feedback?' is closed to new replies.